Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful Week: It's Weepy Wednesday

Last night Paul and I stayed up way too late talking. We talked about his job and some new opportunities he hopes will pan out soon. And as we talked, I realized that as much as I know and love Paul, the man I spend my life with, I don't know Paul the Soldier. I see him in his uniform every day, and I hear him talking to prospective recruits on the phone, but I've never seen him run an obstacle course or fire his weapon. I haven't heard him call cadance; I haven't even heard anyone call him SSG Abundis, aside from himself. I know the things he's done; I try to keep up with his acronym-laden stories (and I'm getting better at figuring out what the heck he's talking about!), but it still blows my mind when I think of him actually soldiering.



When I told him how weird this felt for me, that I felt like there was a whole chunk of him I didn't know, he asked me if I thought the same way about Chris and Chubz. Well, yes. I've seen Chris in his ACUs maybe twice, and Chubz, never. I know in my head what they do and where they've been, but not with my eyes.

But it doesn't make a difference. I am so proud and so thankful for these three men (because they are closest to me) and every person who has volunteered to serve our country,  for those who have fought for us in Iraq and Afghanistan (and everywhere else), and for those who serve to protect us here in the United States.

With everything I have, thank you.


Paul, Peter, Chubz and Christopher

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'll second that! I feel strongly about these guys, but also about ALL of our country's soldiers who do their part to keep us safe.

Anonymous said...

wow with all the Abundis (extended honorary too) with all the vets and all the wars we have fought...........is this proof that we just cant get along with anyone????

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how that feels. Hubby and I were at my uncle's house for Thanksgiving and he spent two hours talking to my uncle about his time in the war. That was the most I've heard him talk about his military service in the four and a half years we've been together. Turns out my husband is secretly a genius and nobody ever told me. I went to bed that night feeling like I'd met a perfect stranger.