Thursday, January 28, 2010

Deep Thoughts

Air travel safety is usually the last thing on my mind when I'm settling in for a long flight. There are bags to stow and iPods to adjust--neighbors to ignore and Air Mall magazines to peruse. Does anyone really listen to what the flight attendent is saying? Do we watch her carefully as she pantomimes life-saving procedures with the boredom that accompanies severe repetition? Not really.

But next time, listen for a minute. She says, "In the event of a change in cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the ceiling. Secure your own mask before you help your neighbor." Secure your own mask...

You can't take care of other people unless you take care of yourself first.

It sounds selfish to me. I don't always know how to put my own needs in front of the needs of my loved ones, but sometimes I just have to. If I'm falling apart myself, how can I honestly take care of you? And at what cost?

Something to think about...

**Side note: some of us actually need to take care of ourselves a little less and pay more attention to the needs of other people. After all, it's really not all about you...

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That's funny, I've always thought securing my own mask before the girls' would be hard. I think, in most cases, a balance can be struck between your own needs and others. After all, relationships should be give AND take. =)

I like your thoughts.

Heather said...

Well definitely. But you can't lose so much of yourself that you have nothing left to give.