Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thankful Thursday



Today I am thankful for my upbringing. My parents were not perfect, but they certainly did the best they could with what they had and I think I turned out okay.

There are many personal characteristics that they valued, and they did their best to instill those characteristics in me. I, in turn, work daily to keep those characteristics in my own life, and I hope that someday I can share them with my own family.
  • Be sensitive to the feelings and needs of others and truly care about how my actions affect those around me.
  • Have a sense of justice. Personal gain should not take precedence over equity.
  • Appreciate and take care of what I have, and know the value of working hard for what I have.
  • Be considerate.
  • Be self-aware.
  • Take pleasure in giving of myself.
  • Learn how to love wholly and unconditionally.
  • Use the excellent example of marriage provided by my parents while crafting my own relationship.
  • Appreciate the simple pleasure that can be found in time spent on the kitchen floor! (Confused? Read the next blog...my family is a little weird, too...) 
This list represents the characteristics that I strive to demonstrate. I'm not perfect and I screw up so often, but my parents gave me a strong foundation to build on. I know that I'm growing all the time, and I never want to stop. If you stop growing, you start dying. I'm too young for that!!

Thanks, Mom and Dad. I hope I can continue the pattern and raise my own children (and help raise my step children) the way you raised me. To be good people.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

It's nice to have good people around! =)

Mom said...

xxxooo