Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Saying No! to HH

It's Holland Happening week, and for the first time in four years, that fact means nothing to me! I can't even tell you how excited I am to stay in Port Orchard this weekend while Oak Harbor gets turned on its head for three days.

This week, I will only work 40 hours instead of 100+. This week, the phone will not ring for me 60,000 times a day. I will not have to use my best eastern accent interpretation skills to decipher what the heck the vendors want from me. I will not have to yell. I will not have to pack trucks. I will not have to coddle the Dutchies. (I'm sorry if anyone is offended by that statement. But not that sorry.) I will not have to remember what happened to the sound system adaptor that I forgot three years in a row. I will not have to write a parade script. I will not have to babysit dignitaries who can't remember from one year to the next how to walk in a parade. I will not have to order porta potties. I will not have to argue with Paul Brewer. I will not have to dodge cranky vendors. I will not have to give press statements!

At the same time...I won't get to share a hot plate of powdered sugar-coated pofertjes. I won't get to grin indulgently at how cute and excited Jan and Helen look in their costumes. I won't get to smother my pride as I watch the Lindz play in the Community Band with the geriatrics. I won't get to gossip scandalously with Ron Apgar (am I really sorry about that? Wow.) in the shadow of his shop door. I won't get to drive the world's coolest golf carts through tourist-packed streets. I won't feel the pride of knowing that 15,000 people are going to have a great weekend because of me. I won't get to savor the moment of collapse (usually in front of a very alcoholic beverage) with my co-workers at the end of the long, sun-burnt day.

I'm not sorry the festival is out of my hands, and I'm not sorry I've decided not to go. Am I?

But you know, I can't completely escape the Dutchness...look what I found on my desk this morning.


**Update: I should qualify this post by saying that while I was not involved in planning this year, I was the lucky recipient of several panicked phone calls and e-mails asking where things were, who to call and what to do. Ah, it's kind of nice to feel needed...

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Well, I think I'm glad you're not sorry...not sure if you are really happy or a little happy....

Heather said...

Well...I'm glad I don't have to throw the festival. But...I'm kind of sad I'm not going. If OH was an hour away instead of three hours away, I'd go and make Paul come with me.

Erica said...

This year Haydyn is walking in the parade which should be fun :) I'm looking forward to it. It's ok that you aren't coming up since you have to save that long trip for the weekend of June 5th for Lylah's birthday ;) Yes, I'm still trying to get you up here for that!

Mom said...

I'm sorry you won't be here to enjoy it with us but happy you will have a relaxing weekend without all the hoopla. Showers are forcasted!

Heather said...

It never showered when I was in charge! Actually, I was thinking about it, and the last time there was bad weather was the last el Nino year...Well have fun, Haydyn too! and know that I am a little sad that I won't be there. Just a little.