Thursday, April 22, 2010

Twenty-Eight for Twenty-Eight

Well...it's my birthday. So, in honor of this auspicious occasion, Tiffany is going to interview me. For a big, fancy, birthday photo of me, go here.

Without further ado, here, in no particular order, are 28 things about Heather:

1) Where were you born? Coupeville, Washington.

2) Where is the farthest you've been from home? I was able to visit my sister twice while her (then) husband was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan. That's a ways away!

3) Describe a perfect rainy Sunday. Um...this is a PG-13 blog! Okay, I kid. It would involve a 9 a.m. wake up call, cheese blintzes with strawberries and sour cream (made by someone other than me), lots of coffee, quilts, movies, a very handsome man and his beautiful children, and maybe dinner and cards with family later in the evening (because I get horrible cabin fever).

4) If you could have any job, what would it be? Now, if I knew the answer to this one I would be a lot farther in my career than I already am! Honestly, I don't know what the perfect job is for me. I'd love to work in graphic design or something that allows me to create instead of just sitting around all day organizing things (I hate organizing). The ultimate job for me is just to be a mom. Right now I'm working part time in that field.

5) What is the very first thing you would buy if you won $10,000,000? Paul and I talk about this often--probably more often than is healthy. And we agree that, after clearing up all of our debt and establishing trust funds for the kids, etc. we would buy a home and some land. Next we would purchase butt implants for me. Now, we haven't agreed to that purchase, but I'm very good at getting my way.

6) What do you like best about yourself? Well...I think I'm pretty nice. I seem to get along with everyone, and as far as I know, I haven't made any enemies. I try (and think I've been pretty successful) to be considerate of others. There's really not a cruel, vindictive or manipulative bone in my body and I think that's a pretty good way to be.

7) What was your first car? It was a Pontiac and it was white. That's about all I know. Oh, and the last time I drove it I had to leave it on the side of I-5 in Everett and ride to a gas station in the back of a state patrol car. Turns out you should maybe check the oil every now and then...

8) What's your favorite smell? I can't pick one. There are a million delicious things to smell in this world, but, without being gross, I'd have to say it's Paul (as long as he's showered =D). But he hates it when I sniff him.

9) If you were a color, what color would you be? Probably black. Or cerulean, just because I really like saying that word.

10) Do you remember your home phone number from childhood? Yes! Because my parents still use the number I learned in kindergarten, and because I use their Albertsons card instead of getting my own. By the way, Mom, you have 0.20 off gas, but you need to have the actual card!

11) What's your most embarrassing moment? Whatever it is, I've blocked it out pretty well! I've had my share of embarrassments. In high school I was given the 'Tomato Face' award. I was voted in unanimously by my classmates. And of course, I was required to stand up in front of the whole school to, with flaming cheeks, accept my award.

12) Do you have a lucky number? I would say 17, but purely out of habit. I had a crush on a boy in the 4th grade, and his birthday was on the 17th, so I always used that as my lucky number. That habit has stuck around for a loooong time.

13) What was your favorite school subject? I guess I'd say English because I am very very good at it. But I did not enjoy school at all.

14) Did you have a least favorite subject? Three words: Old Testament Survey.

15) What was your favorite thing about high school? I went to an incredibly small school. By the time my senior year rolled around there were probably only 8 or 10 of us in 7-12 grade, but we were all friends. We all got along and hung out and for me, it was a good atmosphere.

16) What is the strangest thing about you? To be honest, I'm pretty freaking weird. I have a ton of annoying quirks and I'm sure Paul could talk for quite a while about them. Also, I have two extra bones in my jaw that prohibit me from sticking out my tongue as far as everyone else can. Go figure.

17) Who do you think is the most annoying celebrity? Oprah. Hands down.

18) Tell me about your first kiss? My first real kiss took place when I was 15. It was John Eloph, and we had just gone bowling and were hanging out at my boss' apartment. We were on the veranda when he mauled me, and I tactfully gave him his slobbers back by wiping my face on his shoulder.

19) And with Paul? Oh please--I don't kiss and tell! He'd kill me. But I will say that I asked for an encore.

20) Do you have a favorite song memory? I'd have to go with the song that is cited by almost every kid of my generation--Good Riddance by Green Day. It was high school in a nutshell.

21) What's your middle name?  Renee, with an aigu over the middle e. I lucked out in the middle name department...my sisters got Ann and Marie.

22) Do you have a favorite word to say? Alliteration. Irreperable. Walrus.

23) Who was your first best friend? Probably Rachel. Our families lived in the same apartment complex, and all my baby pictures have Rachel in them. But then, it's kind of hard to have a best friend as an infant. So I'll go with Christine. Our moms were best friends and were pregnant with us together. We're six weeks apart, and we hated each other for a good 18 years. Makes for an ideal friendship, right?

24) Do you believe in ghosts? Aliens? That man landed on the moon? No; yes; and I have serious doubts. Don't you think we'd go back? I mean, how many times do we climb Mount Everest? How often do we explore the Amazon? And yet, we've only 'seen' the moon once. I'm just not sure I buy it. And aliens. Isn't it a little conceited to think we're the only life form anywhere? I think it is. Although, I'm not saying I believe they've come to Earth. I just think they're out there.

25) Beatles or Elvis? The Beatles. Definitely. But I love Elvis, too. But the Beatles.

26) If you could invite anyone to dinner, who would it be? Shel Silverstein. How trippy would that be? I'd serve nothing but finger foods.

27) What is the #1 item on your Bucket List? To tour the British Isles, Italy, France, Germany, and any other place we can get to.

28) What is your favorite movie quote? 'It is clear that I must find my other half. But is it a he or a she? What does this person look like? Identical to me? Or somehow complimentary? Does my other half have what I don't? Did he get the looks? The luck? The love? Where we really seperated forceably or did he just run off with the good stuff? Or did I? Will this person embarrass me? What about sex? Is that how we put ourselves back together again? Or can two people actually become one again?' This is a quote from Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Now, I know some of you think this movie is ridiculous, but it changed my way of thinking about love and about myself. It was what I needed to hear at the time. The movie is adapted from a story, 'Origin of Love,' in Plato's Symposium, and I think it's a beautiful way to describe the humanity of love. I could just wax on and on about this, but I'll spare you. If you have time, watch Hedwig's Origin of Love video on YouTube, and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have high hopes for my 28th year. Wish me luck as I jump in!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Finger foods for Shel. I LOVE that!
Alliteration!!! Great word....Walrus....I admit I do like the way that rolls off the tongue!

Erica said...

Happy Happy Birthday Dear Heather!

Anonymous said...

Love you kid. I like capitulate.
Dad A

Heather said...

=D

The world is full of beautiful words.

honestabe said...

I love it every bit of it - now I know all I want to know about you and I am definitely askeered